To provide formative feedback, the quiz should be designed for multiple attempts with feedback to be viewed at any time during or after students attempt the quiz.
To create a formative quiz:
- Click Turn editing on.
- Go to the week/topic you wish to add the quiz to.
- Click Add an activity or resource and select Quiz.
- Click Add.
- Enter a Name. This will be the identifying name of the link within your week/topic.
- Enter an Introduction describing the quiz and outlining any important instructions.
- Tick Enable for both Open the quiz and Close the quiz if you wish to have the quiz available to students between specific dates. Otherwise, leave this section greyed out.
- Enter a Time limit if applicable.
- Assign the number of Attempts allowed from the available options. For a revision quiz, you should allow multiple or unlimited attempts so students can practice until they get the correct answer.
- If more than 1 attempt is permitted, assign a Grading method from the available options. Grades for these quizzes are generally not recorded for assessment but can be useful feedback for students. Select either Highest if you would like students receive the highest grade of all their attempts at the quiz, or Last attempt if the students’ most recent attempt would be the most useful for revision.
- Select Shuffled randomly for Question order to enable questions to appear in a different order in each attempt.
- Select Every question for New Page.
- Select Free for Navigation method.
- Select Yes for Shuffle within questions to enable parts within a question (e.g. multiple choice options) to shuffle in each attempt. If you enable shuffle, you might need to change answers such as ‘all of the above’ to ‘all options’.
- Select Adaptive mode for How questions behave to allow students to submit each question individually during the attempt. With this option, students will be able to improve their answer, for a reduced grade. Select Adaptive mode (no penalties) if you do not wish for students to be penalised for multiple attempts at a question.
- Select Yes for Each attempt builds on the last to allow students to see the results of their previous attempts during subsequent attempts.
- Under the Review options section, leave all options ticked so that students can view feedback at any time during or after their attempts.
- You can give Overall feedbackto students upon completion of each attempt, depending on their result. To set up overall feedback:
- Enter your first Grade boundary e.g. 75%. This means that students who receive between 100% and 75% will see the comment you enter in the first text box.
- Enter your feedback comment in the first text box for attempts that receive between 100% and the first grade boundary 75%.
- Continue to enter grade boundaries and comments below in this way.
- Click Save and display to move to the next step of adding questions.