A quiz to be used for assessment should be designed to allow a single attempt with feedback to be viewed after students attempt the quiz.
To create a quiz for assessment:
- Click Turn editing on.
- Go to the week/topic you wish to add the quiz to.
- Click Add an activity or resource and select quiz.
- Click Add.
- Enter a Name. This will be the identifying name of the link within your week/topic.
- Enter an Introduction describing the quiz and outlining any important instructions.
- Tick Enable for both Open the quiz and Close the quiz if you wish to have the quiz available to students between specific dates. Otherwise, leave this section greyed out.
- Tick Enable for Time limit and allocate the time allowed for the quiz. Consider allowing an extra 5-10 minutes for page loading.
- Select Open attempts are submitted automatically for When time expires.
- Tick Enable for Submission grace period if required and allocate the extra time allowed for the quiz.
- Assign Grade category from the available options.
- Assign the number of Attempts allowed for the quiz from the available options. For a summative quiz, you should allow only one attempt.
- If you select one attempt, you will not need to assign a Grading method. This section will be greyed out.
- Select Shuffled randomly for Question order to enable questions to appear in a different order in each attempt.
- Assign the number of questions to appear per page for New page. We strongly recommend one question per page, unless you have a few questions that relate to a provided stimulus material.
- Select Yes for Shuffle within questions to enable parts within a question (e.g. multiple choice options) to shuffle in each attempt. If you enable shuffle, you might need to change answers such as ‘all of the above’ to ‘all options’.
- Select Deferred feedback for How questions behave. This is the best option for an assessment where you don't want students to see any feedback during the quiz.
- Under the Review options section, tick the options as shown in the image to allow students to see their grade immediately after they have completed the quiz. Un-tick Marks under the Immediately after the attempt column, to allow students to see their grade only after the quiz has closed.
- Consider accessibility options for after the quiz has closed and set accordingly:
- Do you want students to be able to see their attempt?
- Do you want students to see whether they had answered correctly?
- Do you want to give specific feedback for each question?
- Do you want to give general feedback?
- Do you want to display the correct answer?
- Do you want to give overall feedback?
- Click Save and display to move to the next step of adding questions.